Athens is a food lover’s paradise, where you can taste the flavors of Greece and beyond. From traditional tavernas and street food stalls to modern bistros and fine dining restaurants, Athens has something for every palate and budget. In this blog post, we will show you where and what to eat in Athens, Greece, highlighting the best spots to eat at in Athens for 2023.
Traditional Greek Cuisine
If you want to experience the authentic Greek cuisine, you can’t go wrong with a visit to one of the many tavernas that dot the city. Tavernas are casual eateries that serve a variety of dishes, such as grilled meats, salads, dips, pies, and stews. You can also order meze, which are small plates of appetizers that are perfect for sharing. Some of the best tavernas in Athens are:
- Geros tou Moria: A historic taverna that dates back to 1932, located near the Acropolis. You can enjoy classic dishes such as moussaka, lamb chops, stuffed vine leaves, and fried cheese, accompanied by live music and a view of the Parthenon1.
- Papadakis: A cozy taverna that specializes in seafood and island cuisine, located in the upscale Kolonaki neighborhood. You can savor fresh fish, octopus, squid, shrimp, and lobster, as well as salads, pasta, and risotto2.
- Liondi Traditional Greek Restaurant: A charming taverna that offers creative and seasonal dishes, located in the lively Plaka district. You can try dishes such as feta donuts with jam, lamb with eggplant puree, and apple pie baklava with cinnamon ice cream3.
Modern Greek Cuisine
If you want to taste the contemporary and innovative side of Greek cuisine, you can head to one of the many bistros and restaurants that offer modern interpretations of classic dishes. These places use local and seasonal ingredients, fusion techniques, and artistic presentations to create dishes that are both delicious and visually appealing. Some of the best places for modern Greek cuisine in Athens are:
- Spondi: A Michelin-starred restaurant that is considered one of the best in Europe, located near the Panathenaic Stadium. You can indulge in a degustation menu that features dishes such as foie gras with figs and pistachios, sea bass with artichokes and truffles, and chocolate souffle with vanilla ice cream2.
- Thes “Greek Creative Cuisine”: A stylish restaurant that showcases the creativity and diversity of Greek cuisine, located near Syntagma Square. You can enjoy dishes such as moussaka croquettes with yogurt sauce, steak slices with tomato and onion puree, and orange pie with mastiha ice cream3.
- Caravin Wine & Wanderlust: A chic wine bar and bistro that offers a curated selection of wines and dishes from around Greece, located near Monastiraki Square. You can sample wines from different regions and pair them with dishes such as smoked eggplant salad, cheese platter, beef tagliata with rocket salad, and chocolate cake with red fruits4.
If you want to explore the culinary influences from other countries and regions in Athens, you can find plenty of options for international cuisine. Athens has welcomed immigrants from Egypt, Turkey, Lebanon, Syria, India, China, Japan, Peru, Chile, and more, who have brought their foodways with them. You can also find restaurants that offer cuisines from other European countries such as Italy, France, Spain, Germany, etc. Some of the best places for international cuisine in Athens are:
- Indian Haveli: A popular Indian restaurant that serves authentic and flavorful dishes from different regions of India, located near Syntagma Square. You can order dishes such as chicken tikka masala, lamb rogan josh, dal makhani, naan bread, and mango lassi3.
- Mayan Restaurant: A cozy Peruvian and Chilean restaurant that offers a fusion of flavors and spices from South America, located near Omonia Square. You can try dishes such as ceviche, lomo saltado, quinoa salad, empanadas, and pisco sour4.
- Hasapika Central Market: A trendy Japanese and seafood restaurant that is located inside the central fish market of Athens, offering a unique and fresh dining experience. You can choose from a variety of sushi, sashimi, nigiri, tempura, ramen, and more3.
Athens is a food lover’s paradise, where you can taste the flavors of Greece and beyond. You can have a memorable gastronomic adventure by following this guide, or customize it according to your preferences and budget. Either way, you will discover the best spots to eat at in Athens for 2023.